Male Hormone Imbalance
In men, the symptoms of aging are often the result of a growth hormone and testosterone decline. After age 20, a man's growth hormone falls about 14% for every 10 years. By the time he reaches 40, he's lost almost half the growth hormones he had at 20-years-old and by the time he reaches 80, men are left with just 5% of their original growth hormones. These imbalances can happen at any age. Fortunately there are male treatment options available.
Some of the most common hormonal imbalances in men include:
- Andropause. Also known as the male menopause, andropause occurs as men grow older and their testosterone levels decline.
- Adrenal fatigue. If your stress levels remain high for a prolonged period of time, your adrenal gland can't produce enough of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Hypothyroidism. When your thyroid gland is underactive, it's not producing enough thyroid hormones.
- Hyperthyroidism. An overactive thyroid gland results in high levels of thyroid hormones and an increased metabolism.
Signs and Symptoms of Male Hormone Imbalance
Many of the symptoms of male hormonal imbalances come on very gradually. You may not notice them at first, but as more symptoms appear and become worse over time, they do become apparent. These symptoms of male hormone imbalance are some of the most common:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Low libido
- Night sweats or hot flashes
- Mood swings or irritability
- Muscle loss or weakness
- Depression or anxiety
- Increased body fat
- Hair loss
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Memory loss
- Heart palpitations
- Sleep apnea or insomnia
- Constipation or increased bowel movements
- Gynecomastia (development of breasts in men)
People often mistake the symptoms of imbalanced hormones in men with signs of aging. The good news is that these hormone losses and imbalances are easily correctible. And through proper treatment, these symptoms will often disappear and bring about a healthier, younger you. BodyLogicMD affiliated physicians can help balance your hormones safely and effectively using bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.