About Doreen Saltiel, M.D.
Dr. Doreen Saltiel’s practice of evidence-based, functional medicine is the culmination of her experience as an expert cardiologist, the evolution of her fundamental beliefs about the practice of medicine, and her personal journey as a patient as well as a practicing physician.
As traditional medicine is commonly practiced, a patient is allotted a scant 15 minutes for the doctor to assess a symptom or group of symptoms and write a prescription. Dr. Saltiel, however, takes a fundamentally different approach to medicine. She believes wellness isn’t just the absence of disease. Rather, it’s optimal health and disease prevention. Accordingly, she believes that medicine should be more patient-centered than disease-centered. With this goal in mind, she spends the time to actively partner with each patient, exploring his or her history, physiology and lifestyle.
For more than 20 years, Dr. Saltiel practiced interventional cardiology, treating critically ill cardiovascular patients with stents, coronary bypass surgery and traditional medical therapy. Dr. Saltiel knew that a focus on prevention and early intervention could have a greater impact on patient’s lives than treatment in the advanced stages of disease. As a result, her view of how medicine should be practiced began to shift.
Dr. Saltiel also experienced firsthand the power of functional medicine and optimal hormone balance. Seeking a more effective approach to treating illness, she sought help from a Metabolic Medical Institute (MMI) physician, who evaluated and treated her using evidence-based, functional testing and an individualized treatment plan. She not only recovered from her acute symptoms but experienced significant improvement in overall health and quality of life.
She completed MMI’s advanced fellowship training in Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine. She also completed MMI’s advanced certification in Cardiovascular Health.
Board Certifications, Associations and Training
After receiving her medical degree from New York Medical College, Dr. Saltiel completed her internal medicine residency at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas and subsequently completed a cardiology fellowship at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. She practiced cardiovascular medicine for 14 years in the Army and her Army service culminated at Fort Gordon, Georgia where she served as the Chief of Cardiology and the Southeast Regional Cardiology Consultant.
- Member of BodyLogicMD, a national network of highly trained physicians specializing in natural bioidentical hormone therapy
- Member of the American Academy for Anti-Aging Medicine
- Extensive training in anti-aging provided by the advanced fellowship in Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine
- Board certified: American Board of Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine
- Board certified: Internal Medicine (1983)
- Board certified: Cardiology (1993)
- Board certified: Venous and Lymphatic Disease (2011)
- Registered physician in vascular interpretation (RPVI)
- Advanced certification in Cardiovascular Health, Metabolic Medical Institute
- Clinical faculty, Metabolic Medical Institute
- Master’s program in Metabolic and Nutritional Medicine, University of South Florida
- Top 100 Cardiologists (2010)